Ex-EastEnder Timothy West to open new Shakespeare garden in Shoreditch
On Sunday 14 June, actor Timothy West will open a new Shakespeare-themed garden in St. Leonard’s Church gardens, designed and planted by people in recovery from addictions.
The ribbon-cutting ceremony will be followed by an afternoon of summer garden party fun hosted by local homeless and addictions charity Spitalfields Crypt Trust (SCT), and is part of their 50th year celebrations.
“I really enjoy gardening. It’s great creating something. I’ve been planting and it’s been great to watch them all grow. It makes me feel good when I do it.” Bill, gardening student.
“The students have been working so hard and the results are just fantastic. Shakespeare inspired mosaic stepping stones, apple and plum trees, wild flowers, herbs, benches, a wishing well – we’ve got the lot in just 200sqm of what was formerly a concrete jungle” said Janis Wales, gardening tutor at the New Hanbury Project, SCT.
The free event is also part of London Open Squares Weekend and will include: (1)
• Shakespeare readings, live music and pop up choirs
• Bring a cake competition
• The first ‘Shoreditch Bard’s Beard Contest’
• ‘Pin the beard on the Bard’ and face painting
• Freebies include wild flower seed sowing kits by Grow Wild Kew Gardens
The results of the garden-naming competition will also be announced on the day.
To find out more about the event, go to: www.sct.org.uk/bardsyard or on Facebook at:
www.facebook.com/events/873685566027889 or email Mike.email@example.com.
About the Spitalfields Crypt Trust
SCT is an East London charity providing practical help, support and training to people who have been homeless and suffering from addiction. It runs a drop in, rehabilitation hostel, personal development & training centre and a number of social enterprises to allow recovering addicts to gain work experience and training.
1. Find out more about the 50th birthday at: www.sct.org.uk/about-us/scts-50th-anniversary
2. Registered office: Acorn House 116-118 Shoreditch High Street London E1 6JN. Spitalfields Crypt Trust is registered in England and Wales and limited by guarantee. Registered Charity No. 1075947 Company No 37347930.
3. Follow us on Twitter: @recoverypathway #SCT50 and facebook.com/recoverypathway
For high-res images of the gardens or more information, please email firstname.lastname@example.org
The event is kindly being sponsored by Tossed – the healthier eating place, who have created a healthy food offering that doesn’t compromise on taste or portion size. Find out more at http://www.tosseduk.com and
Fentimans Botanical soft drinks: http://www.fentimans.com/; www.facebook.com/FentimansLtd; www.twitter.com/FentimansLtd; www.instagram.com/FentimansLtd