At 6.00pm on Friday 6 November, a group of London choirs will sing at Spitalfields Market to celebrate 50 years of local charity, Spitalfields Crypt Trust’s work with the homeless and people in recovery from addiction in the area.(1)
The choirs will sing between 6.00-6.45pm before exiting the Market and leading a procession to open the charity’s Sponsored Sleep-In at Christ Church Spitalfields that night, which will be attended by HRH Princess Alexandra who opened the homeless shelter in the crypt 50 years ago.
“It’s going to be really uplifting to hear such a large group of people all singing their hearts out for SCT, a small, local charity that begun in the heart of Spitalfields back in November 1965 – exactly 50 years ago. The choirs are a real mix of community, corporate and professional voices and we’ve been humbled by their support and enthusiasm for this event.” Sonia Rai, Communications Manager, SCT.
Choir students from one of SCT’s own projects – the New Hanbury Project, a personal development and training centre for people in recovery from addiction – will also be joining in.
Back in 1965, SCT ran one of the first shelters for homeless alcoholics in the UK from the crypt at Christ Church Spitalfields. Today SCT stills run a drop-in for the homeless serving over 150 visitors a week alongside:
• a 16-bed residential recovery accommodation
• 4 supported houses hosting 29 beds for those ready to integrate back into wider society
• a training and personal development centre now teaching over 80 students per term
• 2 social enterprises: Restoration Station and Paper & Cup
• relapse prevention groups and counselling services
• 7 charity shops
To find out more about the Sponsored Sleep-In event, go to: www.sct.org.uk/sleepin or on Facebook at: www.facebook.com/events/1643229462584313/ or email Sonia: firstname.lastname@example.org.
1. The choirs include: The A&O Singers; The Canary Wharf Choir; CHAPS choir; the New Hanbury Project Choir, Owl Parliament and 3 choirs from Starling Arts.
About the Spitalfields Crypt Trust
SCT is an East London charity providing practical help, support and training to people who have been homeless and suffering from addiction. It runs a drop in, rehabilitation hostel, personal development & training centre and a number of social enterprises to allow recovering addicts to gain work experience and training. The charity was one of the first in the UK to provide shelter to homeless, alcoholic men. Find out more about the 50th birthday at: www.sct.org.uk/about-us/scts-50th-anniversary
1. Registered office: Acorn House 116-118 Shoreditch High Street, London E1 6JN. Spitalfields Crypt Trust is registered in England and Wales and limited by guarantee. Registered Charity No. 1075947 Company No 37347930.
2. Follow us on Twitter: @recoverypathway #SCT50 and facebook.com/recoverypathway
For high-res images or more information, please email email@example.com.